Saturday, February 25, 2012

Teaching teenagers ALWAYS rocks my world!

A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege to speak to about 100 teenage girls. It was a BLAST!
My message to them was about putting things before God.... ultimately selfishness.
I am ALWAYS floored by the fact that when I go to teach them....... God teaches me!
It was pretty short and sweet and to the point but the last 2 points have been pounding me in the face for 2 weeks.
The first of those 2 being that we have to " know our weapon". We read in Ephesians that the Bible is a weapon. It's our sword. I illustrated to the girls that my brother is a marine and had served his country by going to Iraq. I asked them how comfortable would I be if my brother went to Iraq having NO IDEA how to use his gun? I would have been terrified! I was anyway but it would have been so much worse if I knew that he had no way to protect himself.
That's us and the Bible! See, we have the weapon we need to protect ourselves. My brother spent MONTHS learning how to load and unload that gun. He knew it forwards and backwards. He was comfortable with it. THAT IS HOW WE SHOULD KNOW SCRIPTURE.
Ouch! It was a great lesson to teach but it just keeps coming back to my mind over and over. I have memorized loads of Scripture but how much of it has changed my life? That weapon changed my brother's life..... do I let my weapon change mine?
The second point was about accountability and wise counsel.
I feel like they are 2 different things.
Accountability is typically people in your peer group. The people who see you everyday and aren't afraid to come talk to you when things seem a little off.
Wise Counsel... these are the line backers in your life. The people that will literally knock you over if necessary. These people will risk your friendship and even their own safety to make sure that you are making good choices.
The part of this that is sticking with me, is that I have excused away the accountability.
I rationalized my behavior by saying " I am too busy" or " I have the kids and no quiet time to talk" or my personal favorite " My husband can keep me accountable" BAHAHAHA!!!
Let me explain that my area for needed accountability is diet and exercise...... IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE YOUR HUSBAND KEEP YOU ACCOUNTABLE! It might work for you but it only ended in tears in our house.

So I am looking for solutions.
I need to memorize scripture and let it change my world.
I need to allow someone close enough to my life that they can ask me about my diet and exercise.
I am not sure I have a plan but I'm pressing on towards a solution.
Feel free to add any thoughts you might have :)


3 comments:

  1. Um wow. Let's start there. Funny enough since our mini interview there have been several things that have stuck in my head. Wise counsel and accountability being 2 of them. I definitely need more wise counsel in a daily basis. Not just when I call them to ask for it. Accountability is a tough one for me. Ugh who wants to be asked those ucky questions. But soo necessary.
    Lastly I heard a sermon on Easter that talked about letting and wanting Scripture to change our lives. Yes please!! I have not been able to get that message out of my head. That's how I want it to be with Scripture.
    I feel I have just simply commented on your post rather than offer helpful suggestions. Sorry please still love me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Katy, I love your comment. It helps :) Maybe you and I could work on some scripture memory this summer

      Delete
  2. Um yes please!! That would be such a blessing. I want my cabin to be all about being in the Word and letting it rock our worlds. Starts with me!!

    ReplyDelete