Saturday, August 14, 2010

Am I doing my part?

OK so for the last few days I have been really thinking and praying over the direction God would take us. I really would love to have another child in our home. I would LOVE to have someone for Jaxon to play with. I mostly just want to be obedient to God and follow where I believe at this point He is leading our family.
James 1:27 says to look after the orphans and widows. So my question is what am I doing for the widows. My husband explained to me that a widow in the Bible was any woman over a certain age who has NO family. I understand that BUT there are widows in my church. Older women who have lost their husband. If you sit and talk with them for any length of time you will see that they are lonely. They want to talk to someone. So am I doing my part there?
My other thought is..... at this point we really feel God is calling us to adoption. We are making steps in that direction. The last few days I have not been able to stop thinking about WHY.
I think I lost site of the ministry and realized I have EVERYTHING that I need and was making this adoption way to much about me. When that thought clicked in my mind my heart changed. So WE want to adopt but what exactly does God want? I WHOLE HUGE HEARTEDLY believe that Gods heart is with the orphans and widows BUT what if someone couldn't adopt?
The truth of James 1:27 is still very real. So how does one obey Gods Word if adoption isn't really an option for them?
These are thoughts I am still processing and I hope to post later with the results but please share your thoughts too!

1 comment:

  1. I think that first and foremost we cannot ask ourself IF we are called to these children, but rather HOW we as Christians can individually fulfill the calling God our Father has set forth. Then pursue our calling to help the orphans (and widows!!) in their distress. It is true that not all of us can adopt for a variety of very valid reasons. But we are all called to help the orphan in some way. Maybe one could find his state’s photo listing of children who are waiting for a family. Print out a picture of a child or children who wait. Hang them on the fridge and pray for them daily. Pray for the family who will be matched with that child.Pray for families that you know of that are in the adoption process and their future children and the mother carrying their child. Find a reputable Christian organization that offers child sponsorship and add a child to your family in that way. Find an adoptive family that could use some childcare and step up to the plate. Go to the store and buy a pile of diapers or formula and deliver them to the mom who just brought her beautiful bundle of joy home from China, or mail them to an orphanage. Send a note to a child in your church who was just adopted welcoming him or her into your church family. There are a million and one ways to care for the orphan. We all must prayerfully decide HOW we can be a part of God’s call to the orphan, and then pursue that task with our heart invested. We are ALL called.
    Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete